Seeking a Full Time DC Bike Ambassador Program Coordinator
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) is looking for a full-time coordinator for the DC Bike Ambassador program, an innovative grassroots approach to bicycle outreach and encouragement. The DC Bike Ambassadors are educators and enthusiasts who are working to bring better bicycling to the people of the District. Carefully selected for a love of bicycling, an understanding of the benefits that bikes can bring to communities, and effective communication skills, they are out on the streets day and night to promote bicycling and act as two-wheeled role models in our city. The DC Bike Ambassador Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of the Bike Ambassador program, including volunteer recruitment, training and coordination, event scheduling and staffing, developing new strategies and approaches to bicycle outreach and encouragement, and online program support and marketing. The DC Bike Ambassador coordinator will develop, produce and distribute bicycle safety publications, implement bike safety and education presentations, manage volunteer coordination and training efforts, participate in WABA events (both on- and off-bike), and the maintain and expand the Bike Ambassador program’s unique trailer program. Responsibilities The DC Bike Ambassador Coordinator will:
- Develop the calendar of Ambassador events and appear in public as the face of area bicycling.
- Communicate an effective and encouraging message about bikes and bicycling to employers, employees, cyclists, motorists, pedestrians and the press.
- Develop and implement Ambassador events, including: scheduling, logistics, planning, volunteer coordination, loading and unloading, staffing events, and pulling the bicycle trailer(s).
- Run the Bike Ambassador Trailer program, which involves pulling an advertising/public awareness bike trailer to target bicyclist, motorist and pedestrian behaviors.
- Administer all aspects of the program, including: budgeting, volunteer recruitment/coordination, data entry, organization/inventory, equipment maintenance, clerical work, grant reporting, etc.
- Advertise for, hire, and supervise a Part-time Bike Ambassador, as well as recruit and manage interns.
- Assist WABA in a non-Ambassador program capacity as needed.
- A strong commitment to WABA’s mission and be a skillful and committed bicyclist with a solid understanding of the principles of bicycling safety and traffic law.
- At least two years of combined experience in: project management, events planning/management, marketing and/or volunteer coordination.
- Supervisory experience a plus.
- Excellent writing, presentation and public speaking skills.
- A flexible schedule and willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Facebook and Twitter (for professional purposes), experience with Salsa/Democracy in Action and WordPress a plus.
- The ability to pull a bicycle trailer weighing 100 lbs. for 1-3 hours.
- The ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- The ability to organize time wisely and multi-task in a relaxed, fun environment.
- Conversational fluency in Spanish strongly preferred.
- Prior League of American Bicyclist Instructor certification a plus.