Job: Events Coordinator
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) seeks a full-time Events Coordinator to plan, implement, promote, and manage current WABA special events, as well as provide support for new events and programs. The Events Coordinator will allow us to expand our events team, enabling WABA to continue planning and implementing successful community and fundraising events, while also giving us the capacity to hold new events in 2016 and future years that raise additional support.
About WABAWashington Area Bicyclist Association works to create a healthy, more livable region by promoting bicycling for fun, fitness, and affordable transportation; advocating for better bicycling conditions and transportation choices for a healthier environment; and educating children, adults, and motorists about safe bicycling.
Job DescriptionThe Events Coordinator position will work closely with the Events Manager to achieve the following objectives: 1) Expand WABA’s definition of events through meaningful partnerships, corporate sponsorships, and new large-scale fundraising events and rides; 2) Successfully lead WABA’s existing events in order to create a safe and welcoming space for WABA Members and supporters to be part of a community that celebrates and promotes bicycling; 3) Engage with and help expand other WABA programs, ensuring that events promote membership, grow volunteers, and advance our advocacy, education, and outreach initiatives. The Events Coordinator position is best for someone who is highly organized, likes to be in charge of their own projects, can manage many logistics at once, is skilled at delegating specific tasks to people, enjoys creating memorable experiences for others, connects the importance of events and community-building to carrying out our mission, can creatively solve problems, and knows how to breathe deeply when managing stressful situations.
Responsibilities:The Events Coordinator will:
- Deliver high-quality events to members and supporters,
- Plan and implement all logistics for major WABA special events, which will include but is not limited to: WABA’s Bicyclists’ Choice Awards and Annual Meeting, Vasa Ride, 50 States Ride, Cider Ride, and our Member Holiday Party. The Coordinator will:
- Manage all event logistics, including: securing venues and permits, recruiting and training volunteers, assigning staff roles, managing registration and promotion plans, answering member questions, testing ride routes, ensuring events stay within budget, and managing set up and break down,
- Perform general administration tasks, including: updating content on website using WordPress, writing blog posts, data entry, tracking supplies inventory, and answering event emails and phone calls.
- Be an active and contributing member of the Events/Development/Membership Team,
- Coordinate partnerships and event opportunities with affiliate organizations,
- Coordinate WABA’s bike racks and supply racks for bike parking for WABA events and occasional partner events,
- Assist Events Manager and Deputy Director in soliciting event sponsors,
- Provide general support for WABA’s outreach, advocacy, and education initiatives as needed.
Qualifications:The ideal candidate will have:
- One to two years of special events and event planning experience, including experience planning events and/or carrying out programs for non-profits, sports teams, membership organizations, or outdoor recreation groups or clubs,
- A commitment to and the ability to stay on task, pay close attention to detail, remain organized, and ensure event deliverables are executed on time,
- Excellent communications skills via email, phone, and in-person, as well as good public speaking skills,
- A flexible schedule, specifically the ability to work nights and weekends leading up to and during WABA events, as well as the ability to begin event set up early in the morning and/or finish event break down late at night, as well as the ability to travel throughout the DC region,
- A current driver’s license, clean driving record, and the ability to drive and parallel park a work van and a 17-foot moving truck,
- The ability to lift 40-50 pounds, and the ability to load/unload event supplies in and out of a cargo van or moving truck for special events,
- Marketing, promotional, and social media skills, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram,
- The ability to work independently often, as well as the ability to learn from and work closely with others,
- An excitement for and interest in bicycling,
- A strong commitment to WABA’s mission of advocating for better bicycling across the region,
- An understanding and commitment to safe bicycling, and the ability to follow bicycle traffic laws,
- The ability to ride a bicycle comfortably and confidently in urban/suburban situations, and the ability to follow a cue sheet.