We’re Hiring: Vision Zero Campaign Coordinator
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association seeks a seasoned community organizer with a healthy love of policy and data analysis to lead our efforts to end all road fatalities in the Washington Region within the decade. (Learn more about our Vision Zero campaign here.)
Position OverviewTraffic fatalities are preventable. For too long, we have accepted crashes on our roads as the inevitable price we pay for convenient and efficient transportation. But it doesn’t have to be this way. We know how to design roads to be so safe that even when human error occurs, no one has to die. We know what kinds of traffic laws and enforcement make the streets safer for all users. What we need is the public support to implement these solutions. That’s where you come in. The Vision Zero Campaign Coordinator will act as a community organizer, mobilizing support to keep the District moving forward with commitments to Vision Zero, while leveraging our successes in the District to neighboring jurisdictions to make their own Vision Zero commitments. The Coordinator will also be an advocate for better access to crash data, and better enforcement and relationships between the bicycling community and law enforcement.
Vision Zero Coordinator Job Activities:Vision Zero Advocacy
- Build community support for Vision Zero commitments through Safe Street workshops, days of action, and neighborhood safety audits;
- Organize a regional Vision Zero summit;
- Organize campaigns to get regional commitments to Vision Zero.
- Improve access to quality crash data by advocating for better reporting practices and open sourcing to the public;
- Institute data collection into the full life cycle of a crash, including police interaction, insurance, whether tickets are upheld in court, settlements, qualitative experience of the victim;
- Work to expand crash data collection beyond DC to help inform expansion of the Vision Zero initiative to neighboring jurisdictions;
- Analyze publicly available crash data to produce think pieces and reports that support our advocacy for safer streets;
- Act as a resource to victims of crashes through the WABA Crash Tracker;
- Administer the Crash Victims attorney advertising program;
- Organize “What to do after a crash” and other relevant community workshops.
- Build relationships with enforcement officials via education tools and programs;
- Hold law enforcement agencies accountable to enforcement priorities as informed by Vision Zero principles and crash data;
- Conduct enforcement analysis in high priority/high crash areas.
QualificationsWe are looking for a strategic people-person who can toggle rapidly between nuanced policy arguments rooted in data and statistics, and big-picture talking points for a public audience. The ideal candidate will demonstrate experience or background in the following:
- Grassroots or community organizing
- Event planning
- Data analysis
- Commitment to equity and social justice
- Policy or legal work (preferred)
- Experience working with a regional transportation department or planning agency (preferred)
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal
- Technological fluency. The coordinator will create and maintain spreadsheets, run reports, and communicate with our members and the public via a myriad of online organizing tools, including WordPress and Salsa.