We’re hiring: Membership & Development Coordinator
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) seeks an enthusiastic, process-oriented Membership & Development Coordinator to manage WABA’s individual membership program and support fundraising activities. We need a systems thinker with great attention to detail and strong interpersonal skills. The Membership & Development Coordinator will operationalize, maintain, and grow the membership program; manage and maintain the member and donor database; and represent WABA in the community.
The Membership & Development Coordinator reports to the Development Director, works closely with WABA’s Events Coordinator and Business Partnership Coordinator, and collaborates with all staff to integrate membership throughout our programs. As a smaller—but quickly growing!—nonprofit, all staff are required to assist with general organization-wide duties and at major events.
Responsibilities & Activities
- Meet and exceed individual membership membership recruitment and retention goals.
- Manage and maintain WABA’s member and donor CRM with precision; process memberships and donations; produce timely and compelling acknowledgments.
- Develop, implement, and execute two annual membership drives, including Bike to Work Day.
- Collaborate with and support WABA staff to effectively grow and promote membership through outreach, events, and education.
- Collaborate with the communications team to create and regularly update membership and donor communications: digital, in-person, and beyond.
- Design and implement occasional membership appreciation and engagement activities, from in-person events and surveys to managing membership perks.
- Represent WABA at community events, on-street outreach, Combined Federal Campaign fairs, and more.
- Manage WABA merchandise, including maintaining inventory, fulfilling online orders and managing sales at events.
- Coordinate with staff to organize volunteers; promote and facilitate the “Earn a Membership” program.
- Support the Development Director in various development functions, including prospect research, donor cultivation, launching a major donor society, and direct mail.
The ideal candidate will have:
Additional required skills include:
- Demonstrated success in—and a passion for!—fundraising;
- A process-oriented, systematic way of thinking;
- Previous CRM database management experience, ideally with Salesforce; and
- Experience with direct mail and email campaigns.
- The ability to balance multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously and follow through on commitments;
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, both verbal and written;
- Good writing skills and a commitment to quality work;
- Strong computer literacy with specific experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google office suite;
- A willingness to jump in and help out the team; and
- An enthusiastic commitment to WABA’s mission.
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) is working to create a healthy, more livable region by promoting bicycling for fun, fitness, and affordable transportation; advocating for better bicycling conditions and transportation choices for a healthier environment; and educating children, adults, and motorists about safe bicycling.
WABA’s programs, from youth education to grassroots community organizing, engage residents in Prince George’s County, Montgomery County, Alexandria, Arlington County, Fairfax County, and Washington, DC. Six thousand dues-paying members and thousands more generous supporters have helped WABA transform bicycling in the region again and again over its 46 year history.
WABA is building a region where, in 2020, we’ll see three times the number of people riding bikes. And, by 2035, every single person will live within one mile of a dedicated safe place to bike. We envision a region in which biking is joyful, safe, popular, and liberating; supported by the necessary infrastructure, laws, activities, and investments; and where bicycle ridership mirrors the incredible diversity of our communities.
This position is full-time. Expected salary range is $36,000-$40,000. The position is based in the WABA Office in Adams Morgan, Washington, DC. All employees are expected to work some evenings and weekends with flex time in exchange.
Benefits include 100% employer covered health/dental/vision insurance premiums; vacation, sick, and personal leave; committed colleagues; fun working environment; optional voluntary accident/disability insurance; WABA’s 403(b) retirement program; indoor bike parking; and surprising amounts of ice cream.
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, arrest record or criminal convictions, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.
Send a cover letter and resume as one PDF to email@example.com. Please include “Membership & Development Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; the position will remain posted until filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by or before Monday, February 26. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.