One final push for MoCo’s Bike Plan
July 11 Update: The record will remain open until August 24th for comments on the Bicycle Master Plan. The Council’s Transportation & Environment Committee will review the plan and comments in depth at a worksession on September 17. Montgomery County is one step away from adopting the most innovative and rigorous bicycle master plan in the country. But we need you to help us push it over the line! On Tuesday, July 10, the County Council will hold the final hearing on the plan. And based on what they hear, the Council will make final changes and vote to adopt it. This plan will guide the next 25 years of bicycle planning and construction in Montgomery County, so this is a pivotal moment for biking in the county.
- an extensive, 1,000 mile, low-stress bicycle network of new protected bike lanes, trails, and quiet neighborhood streets, which will comfortably connect bicyclists of all ages and abilities to the places they need to go;
- a network of high-capacity “breezeways” between activity centers that allows people on bikes to travel with fewer delays, where all users – including slower moving bicyclists and pedestrians – can safely and comfortably coexist.
- new design standards for safe and accessible protected bike lanes, trails and intersections;
- new programs to build out the network, support people who bike and encourage more people to give it a try;
- Abundant and secure, long-term bicycle parking facilities near Metro and MARC stations;
- And rigorous metrics to evaluate the county’s progress in carrying out the plan.
Bike Master Plan Council Hearing Tuesday, July 10 at 7:30 pm Council Office Building (Third-floor hearing room) 100 Maryland Ave., Rockville, MD, 20850Sign up to testify by July 10 at 10 am and reply to let us know that you will be there. If possible, email a written copy of your testimony in advance of the hearing by email to County.Council@montgomerycountymd.gov. Read the full plan here and the proposed network here.