Opportunity: Become a League Cycling Instructor in Virginia! – Applications Closed
Applications Now Closed
What is something that all bicyclists have in common?
Someone had to teach us how to ride.
Whether it was a parent teaching you in a driveway, a sibling taking you to the park down the street, or a League Cycling Instructor helping you cross something off of your bucket list, someone took the time and patience to help you learn something new.
League Cycling Instructors (LCIs) are trained by the League of American Bicyclists to teach bicycle education and safety skills and promote happier, more confident cycling within their communities. They are exemplary bicyclists who are passionate about what they do and eager to share theIr love of bicycling with others.
Does that sound like you? Check out this FREE training opportunity (a $500 value) and start making a difference in your community.
2020 Transportation Leadership Safety Training
WABA is partnering with the Northern Virginia Regional Commission (NVRC) and Alexandria BPAC to host the 2020 Transportation Leadership Safety Training. The goal of this program is to increase bicyclist and pedestrian safety, and reduce crashes throughout Northern Virginia by training Instructors who will be leaders in their communities.
2020 Transportation Leadership Safety Training
|Pedestrian Safety Training*||March 18th & 25th, |
7:00pm – 9:00 pm
|Gain pedestrian safety knowledge and skills by completing this four-hour class over two evenings|
|Smart Cycling*||March 7th, 2020|
10:00am – 4:00 pm
|Participants will learn the importance of bike safety and traffic knowledge while performing advanced bike handling skills and hazard avoidance maneuvers. The course includes an on-street group ride, where participants will learn the ins and outs of lane positioning, defensive cycling and how to communicate with motorists.|
|LCI Seminar||April 3rd, 2020|
5:00pm – 9:00pm
April 4th, 2020,
8:00am – 9:00pm
April 5th, 2020
8:00am – 3:00pm
|The LCI Seminar teaches candidates comprehensive bicycle safety curriculum, including bicycle handling skills, traffic law, riding in inclement weather how to safely plan and lead group rides, group facilitation and management, etc.|
* prerequisite for LCI Seminar
Who can apply?
This training is open to Northern Virginia local government, state, regional staff, police, faculty/teachers and residents active in their communities and committed to improving bicycle and pedestrian safety. Recreational and/or commuter bicyclists are encouraged to apply. Applicants should have experience riding in traffic, on trails and are comfortable riding in various weather conditions.
Registration deadline – January 29th, 2020
- Participants must attend all applicable training dates and complete approximately 50 hours of work, both outside and within the training activities. Training will take place in a classroom setting, outdoors and on city streets and trails.
- Must have a local government or lead organization mentor that will help you identify outreach events that support bicycle and pedestrian safety efforts in the region (i.e. WABA, Alexandria BPAC, FABB, BikeArlington).
- The ability to ride a bicycle confidently.
- Participants must commit to doing two community pedestrian and bicycling safety outreach events by September 15th and January 20th and report back to NVRC.
Only interested in the pedestrian training or Smart Cycling?
There are limited spaces available. If you are a safety advocate or work in training, education or local state government, please contact Debbie Spiliotopoulos at email@example.com.
Are you an LCI willing to help out? Apply to be a mentor!
Mentors assist new LCIs in completing their outreach requirements and reporting back to NVRC.
- Affiliated with a program or organization that supports pedestrian/bicycle safety or outreach to vulnerable road users/bicyclists/pedestrians operating in Virginia
- Connected with outreach efforts in high crash areas and directly work on events with needs for LCIs
- Committed to helping LCI reach outreach requirements
- Committed to communicating outreach efforts and outcomes to NVRC for grant reporting for 2020 and into future grant years
- Can provide a list of potential events or activities for new candidates to work on
Thank you to all the key partners in this project, including the Northern Virginia Regional Commission, the League of American Bicyclists, Alexandria Bicyclist Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC), the Fairfax Alliance for Better Bicycling (FABB), Inova Hospital, the City of Manassas, City of Fairfax, Prince William County, Arlington County, Fairfax County, Loudon County and the City of Alexandria.
Project Information and Eligibility – Debbie Spiliotopoulos, NVRC – firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration and Class Information – Sydney Sotelo, WABA – email@example.com