Capital Trails Coalition: Bike Tour of Planned Trail Projects in Alexandria
Saturday, November 6, 2021, 10:00 AM
Four Mile Run Park Plaza
The City of Alexandria currently has 16.1 miles of paved, multi-use trails! There are 3.6 miles of planned trails across the City to complete the envisioned network. Join us for a ride to explore two planned trail projects and discuss what stage of development they are in:
1) Four Mile Run – Potomac Yards Connector: A small .1 mile connection that will connect the Four Mile Run Trail in Potomac Yard to the Potomac Avenue Buffered Bike Lane. This project is in Arlington County but serves as a key connection across jurisdictions.
2) The Beauregard Trail: A 1.8 mile connection between Lucky Run Trail and Holmes Run Trail. This shared-use path will provide a much needed North/South trail connection in the area.
We will also discuss the planned Backlick Run Trail, but we will not have time to visit the segment.
Check out our full schedule of events at waba.org/fun.
Click here to view WABA’s Code of Conduct for event participants.
This ride is for you if:
You like to bike, walk, run, or recreate on any of Alexandria’s bike paths or trails.
You would like to learn about the Capital Trails Coalition’s vision for Alexandria and get an update on the status of the city’s multi-use trail projects.
You would like to learn about how to get involved with the CTC and help to bring a world-class network of multi-use trails to our region.
Duration: 1 hour ride + stops along the way to visit project sites and discuss their current status, hurdles and plans for the future.
Approx. 9 miles on city streets and trails.
Equipment: Participants are required to bring their own bicycle and helmet for this class. Interested in using a FREE Capital Bikeshare for this class? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration Policy: Advance registration is required for this event. Be sure to show up for the ride at least 10 minutes before departure.
This class is brought to you thanks to the generous support of the City of Alexandria Department of Transportation and Environmental Services.
Health and Safety Protocols
Due to the ongoing effects of COVID-19, all participants are expected to adhere to WABA’s health and safety guidelines for in-person events.
- Participants should not attend in-person events if they feel sick or show symptoms of illness. WABA will refund registration fees to individuals who cannot attend because they are sick on the day of an event. If you are sick and unable to attend an in-person event, contact WABA for a refund.
- WABA Adult Education classes are mask optional. WABA does not require participants to be vaccinated in order to attend class although we strongly encourage all participants to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Those who have not been vaccinated are required to wear a CDC approved facemask for the duration of class. Anyone who has received the COVID-19 vaccine may choose to forgo masks and social distancing. WABA respects anyone’s decision to wear a mask and encourages all people to advocate for themselves. If you would like to wear a mask during class and would like to maintain social distancing we highly encourage you to do so! WABA will not tolerate any disrespect towards WABA staff or participants who choose to wear a mask for their own safety and peace of mind.
- Participants will provide their contact information at event registration. Participants consent to WABA contacting them and/or releasing their contact information to necessary authorities if there is a need for contact tracing following an event to contain an outbreak of COVID-19.
Start and End Point:
Four Mile Run Park Plaza
4121 Mt. Vernon Avenue
Alexandria, VA 232305
WABA Instructors will be wearing teal polos.
Parking is available at this location off of Mt. Vernon Avenue, either at the Four Mile Run Field Parking Lot or on adjacent side streets.
Go multi-modal! The bus stop at the Plaza is served by buses 10A, 10B, 10E, 23A, and 23B. Not sure how to get your bike on a bus, check out our post on going multi-modal for tips and tricks.
Four Mile Run Park is right off of Four Mile Run Trail and the Four Mile Run Park Trail, accessible via the Mount Vernon Trail. There is a Capital Bikeshare station at the plaza.