Confident City Cycling teaches you the skills you need to ride safely and confidently on streets, bike lanes and trails alike.
This class is divided into two groups to accommodate different skill levels and interests:
- The Fundamentals track focuses on practicing basic bike handling skills such as shifting, scanning, signaling, gradual braking and weaving. Instructors discuss the importance of trail etiquette while riding on a multi-use path and answer any questions participants may have about trail riding for commuting or recreation.
- The Confidence track teaches hazard avoidance maneuvers necessary while riding on the street and in heavily trafficked areas. Participants learn skills such as the avoidance weave, quick stop, rock dodge and instant turn, and discuss considerations for sharing space with other road users.
Each track ends the class with an on street or on trail group ride, where participants put their newly acquired skills to the test.
Have any questions? Email us at email@example.com.
Class Duration: 3 hours
Equipment: Participants are required to bring their own bicycle and helmet for this class. Bikes must be in good working order. Use a Capital Bikeshare bike and WABA will reimburse your usage fee for the duration of the class! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Cost: $10, Free for WABA members
Registration Policy: Advanced registration is preferred to secure your spot. Drop ins are free (if space is available)! Be sure to show up for class 15 minutes before start time.
Is this class right for me?
- This class is reserved for adults ages 18 or older.
- This class is for participants who already know how to bike but would like to learn new skills and build their confidence riding on trails or on the street in heavily trafficked areas.
- Not ready to ride in the street? No problem! Confident City Cycling is broken up into two groups to accommodate different experience levels. The Fundamentals track teaches skills necessary for riding on multi-use trails and features a group trail ride at the end of class.
- Participants are required to bring their own bicycle and helmet for this class. Bikes must be in good working order. WABA does not provide on site maintenance for personal bikes. Use a Capital Bikeshare bike for this class and WABA will reimburse your usage fee! Email email@example.com for more details.
Do I have to wear a helmet if I am riding my personal bike?
Yes! All WABA class participants are required to wear a helmet for the duration of class. Don’t have a helmet? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will provide you with one!
What should I bring with me to class?
Water, close toed shoes, athletic clothing, a bike, helmet, appropriate outerwear, snacks, and sunscreen!
How do I confirm my registration?
After you register, you will receive a confirmation email with details about the class. We will send you a reminder email two days before class with all the information you need (including google maps directions!).
I’m Confident! What’s next?
Let’s go for a bike ride!